Disclosure: We may get a small commission when you shop by clicking on the links on our site. This is at no additional cost to you. Learn more.
Wanting to play golf all year round is a dream for all of us who love this sport. However, with most of the country covered in snow and freezing temperatures for a good part of the year, that is not always possible. Enter Golf simulators! These devices are God sent and give us the chance to play golf all year round! If that is not a miracle, I don’t know what is.
Indoor golf simulators are easy to setup in your garage or den and give you a super realistic experience in the comfort of your home. However, if you are short on space at home or just want to build the backyard of your dreams, outdoor golf simulators are the way to go. Outdoor golf simulators can provide many of the same benefits as indoor golf simulators, including the ability to practice and play golf regardless of the weather, improved accuracy and shot data, and the ability to customize course and weather conditions. In our opinion and experience, it actually gives a more realistic experience since you are outdoors, just like the golf course.
Our Top Choice
- Play on the world’s 12 best WGT courses
- Bag mapping feature for improved club selection along with progress tracking
- 3D driving range with technology to trace shots
Our Favorite Picks for Outdoor Golf Simulators
- SkyTrak Golf Simulator Training Package
- FlightScope Mevo+ Training Package
- Garmin Approach R10 Training Golf Simulator Package
- Bushnell Launch Pro Training Golf Simulator Package
- Foresight Sports GC3 Training Golf Simulator Package
Top Overall Simulator
SkyTrak Golf Simulator Training Package
FlightScope Mevo+ Training Package
Garmin Approach R10 Training Golf Simulator Package
Top 5 Outdoor Golf Simulators That We Highly Recommend
1. SkyTrak SIG12 Golf Simulator: Top Overall Package
Product Specifications and Features
- Minimum Room Dimensions: 14’ x 18’ x 10’
- Launch Monitor Specs: SkyTrak Golf
- Simulator Software: SkyTrak Play and Improve
- Projector Specs: Optoma EH412ST short throw
- Screen Specs: SIG12 HD
- Net Specs: Side barrier netting
- Hitting Pad/Mat: Fairway, Fiberbuilt, or Fiberbuilt Double
- Landing Pad/Mat: Yes
What’s included in the package?
- SkyTrak Golf Launch Monitor
- Metal Protective Case
- Play & Improve Software
- SIG12 Golf Simulator Enclosure
- Side Barrier Netting
- Landing Pad Turf
- Choice of Golf Hitting Mat
- Golf Simulator Projector
- Ceiling Mount
- 15′ HDMI Cable and HDMI to Lightning Cable
- Micro-USB Charging Cable for SkyTrak
- SkyTrak User Manual & Quick Start Guide
The SkyTrak Sig12 Golf Simulator Package brings a luxury golfing experience to your home. The enormous 12’ widescreen provides an immersive experience, making you feel like you’re playing on the course. We were taken aback at the screen resolution more than once during testing.
Choose from the range of 12 World Golf Tour (WGT) courses, and enjoy playing the same courses as the professionals . You can set the weather conditions to provide different challenges or even match your own regular golf course conditions. 
Even if it’s raining outside, you don’t need to miss a practice session. You can turn on your golf simulator and play a practice round or test your skills in the various competitions.
For an even greater realistic experience, you can choose from 3 different high-quality golf mats. If you have joint pain, we found the softer Fiberbuilt mat is gentle on the body, while the Fairway Series can hold a real tee just as if you are on the first hole.
What We Like:
- Play various competitions for a more significant challenge
- Choose from a range of playing weather conditions
- Select from 3 high-quality golf hitting mats
What We Don’t Like:
- This model is the most expensive simulator in the SkyTrak range
More About Outdoor Golf Simulators…
When to consider getting an outdoor gold simulator?
There are several reasons why you might consider getting an outdoor golf simulator:
- The most obvious one is that you love golf and want to be able to play and practice anytime. An outdoor golf simulator lets you play and practice golf whenever you want, regardless of the weather or time of day.
- Outdoor golf simulators typically require a larger space than indoor simulators, so you’ll need to have a backyard or other outdoor area that is suitable for the setup. So if you want to create a backyard of your dreams, this is definitely the way to go.
- Playing golf on an outdoor simulator can provide a more immersive and realistic experience, as you are playing in a natural setting surrounded by trees, grass, and other outdoor features.
- Some outdoor golf simulators allow you to customize the course layout and design, which can be a fun and creative way to set up your own personal golf course.
what are the main components of an outdoor golf simulator?
- Simulator frame: The frame or structure of the simulator, which supports the netting or screen and holds the sensors and other tracking equipment.
- Netting or screen: A net or screen that captures the ball after it is hit, allowing the sensors to track its flight and trajectory.
- Sensors and tracking equipment: Sensors and other tracking equipment that measure and transmit data about the ball’s flight and trajectory.
- Computer or other device: A computer or other device that runs the golf simulator software and displays the shot data and course visuals.
- Software: Specialized software that processes the shot data and generates a virtual representation of the ball’s flight and the course.
- Golf clubs and balls: Real golf clubs and balls that are used to hit shots into the net or screen.
Other components of an outdoor golf simulator may include a hitting mat, a practice green, and other accessories or features. The specific components of a particular golf simulator will depend on the model and manufacturer.
setting up a golf simulator in the backyard
Setting up a golf simulator in the backyard is actually pretty straightforward and can be super fun to customize. Here are some steps to follow when setting up a golf simulator in your backyard:
Choosing a location is going to be the most important step. Select a flat, open area in your backyard that is large enough to accommodate your golf simulator setup. While picking the location with the ideal proximity to your house or other structures, don’t forget to consider the sun and wind direction since these will drastically impact your game and golfing experience.
Assemble the simulator: Follow the manufacturer’s instructions to assemble the golf simulator frame, netting, or screen, and any other necessary components. Install the sensors and other tracking equipment and software according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Make sure the sensors are positioned correctly and are functioning properly.
Test the setup: Test the golf simulator by hitting a few balls and verifying that the sensors and software are accurately tracking and displaying your shots. Make any necessary adjustments to the simulator setup or software to ensure optimal performance.